– In April of 2011, my friends and I arrived in the sleepy town of Chilhowie, Virginia. We had driven eight hours from Charleston to eat at John and Karen Shieldses’ restaurant Town House.
– I remember the first time I met Gabriela Camara. My friends and I were standing on the sidewalk outside of her new restaurant Contramar in Mexico City. The sun was high, the sky was clear, and spirits were high.
– The email I hope to get each year finally arrived. Christopher Kostow and The Restaurant at Meadowood will be hosting its eleventh annual Twelve Days of Christmas , which will benefit the St. Helena Preschool for All
– Last year, I got pretty worked up about an insultingly bad meal I had in 2017.
– Did you know that salmon not only find their way up rivers to spawn, but they’re able to find the specific feeder branch, upstream, where they hatched? It’s amazing.
– I have little to add to the thoughts that I previously recorded about pastryland in 2016 , and which I reiterated in 2017 . The majority of desserts I encounter in restaurants continues to be overwrought
– Before I get on with telling you about my favorite whatnots from 2018, there’s something I’d like to discuss with you. What follows is partly an explanation, partly an admission, and all of it a disclaimer
– Some of my happiest moments in 2018 were spent waist-high in cold water. On especially good days, the sun glinted off the rushing stream, and glistened at the seams of the slow-moving eddies and pools into which my mind swirled.
– All of the guest chefs have left. On the last night of this year’s Twelve Days of Christmas at The Restaurant at Meadowood – the 120th dinner, and my 72nd – the kitchen returned to the hosting chef Christopher Kostow and his team.
– I’ve had two excellent meals at Clown Bar, and my enthusiasm for that restaurant has been recorded on this blog ( here , and here , and here again ).